Chester, IL


Land Resource Management FAQs

Are permanent foundations required on mobile homes?

Yes. The foundation shall extend into the ground below the frost line so as to attach and become a part of the real estate (basement, concrete slab or concrete perimeter with mortared concrete block). Vinyl skirting is not allowed.

I help with the family farming operation, can I put a new home on the family farm?

Additional single-family dwellings shall be permitted on an agricultural lot of record provided the occupants of said single-family dwellings are directly related by birth, marriage or adoption to the owners and residents of the lot of record.

Can I put an additional home on my property?

No. Only one dwelling may be situated on any lot or lot of record.

What are setbacks?

The horizontal distance from the lot line in question to the side of the structure facing that lot line or to the edge of the area of operation of the principal use (in the case of a use which does not involve a structure).

What is the Zoning Board of Appeals?

The Zoning Board of Appeals is comprised of seven members appointed by the County Board Chairman with the advice and consent of the County Board of Commissioners.

Where do I find the legal description of a piece of property?

A legal description can be found on the deed or a tax bill.

What is my zoned district?

The zoned district of a property is determined by the area in which it is located. It is best to contact the office with the legal description of the property in question.

How much property do I need to build on?

The factors are variable. Please contact our office for specific information.

If a new structure is not connected to a principal structure (ex. deck, porches...) is a permit required?

Yes. A permit is required.

If a new structure is less then $500.00 in cost, is a permit required?

Yes. Every structure has a value, even if used material is being used in the construction.

If a building is smaller then a 8 x 10, will permits be required?

Yes. Regardless of size, any new structure requires permits.

Does a portable building (carport, shed etc.) need a building permit?

Yes. Any new structure requires a permit.

What year does a mobile home need to be to be moved into the county?

A mobile home is required to be HUD approved. The home must be 1976 or newer.

You Need To Know

  • 2024 Eclipse Info

    Click Here

  • Board of Commissioners

     Meeting Schedules

  • Community Foundation

    You can access the website of the Community Foundation of Randolph County by clicking HERE

  • Courthouse Hours

    Randolph County Courthouse hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Holidays are listed on the Transparency page.    

  • COVID-19

    Circuit Court Administrative Orders

  • ETSB

    Meeting Schedule

  • Paying Tickets

    You can pay citations by clicking HERE or you can dial the Circuit Court Clerk directly at 618.826.5000 extension 194 to ask about paying.

  • Press Releases

    Press Releases for COVID-19

  • Southern Illinois Connector

    The Southern Illinois Connector website and Facebook siconnector 

Latest Blogs

Randolph County Animal Control

The phone number for Randolph County Animal Control is now 618.826.5484 option 0.

Gov. Rauner Launches 24/7 Helpline to Help Illinoisans in Crisis

ILOpioidOverdoseHelplineEarlier this month, Governor Rauner and members of the Opioid Overdose Intervention and Prevention Task Force launched a statewide Helpline to provide immediate assistance for those affected by addiction to opioids and other substances.

Read more ...

2017 Airport of the Year

The Sparta Community Airport (KSAR) has been in existence for about 60 years, providing numerous benefits to the surrounding area- both in the aviation community as well as the non-flying public.

Airport of the Year Award

The businesses on the field help to support and grow the airport, and the airport helps to grow the businesses. Arch Air Ambulance has a helicopter base at the south end of the field, and provides life-saving services to the immediate area. Their geographic position in Sparta is critical to their response time to a patient, as well as their ability to access smaller hospitals in the region - and the larger facilities in St. Louis.

Read more ...

Foreclosure Sales

Administrative Order No. 17-CA-6


Effective August 1, 2017, pursuant to 735 ILCS 5/15-1507(b) all judicial mortgage foreclosure sales shall be conducted by the Sheriff of Randolph County, Illinois, except by leave of Court.


Dated: July 17, 2017

Enter: Richard A Brown, Circuit Judge